Strawberry pepper fancies
It’s high season for strawberries and therefore we feel the following recipe is fitting to prepare as an afternoon tea-time treat.
- Preparation time:30 minutes
- Cooking time:35 minutes
- Makes: 16
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
175g caster sugar
175g butter, softened
3 medium eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ x 7g tube Cooks’ Homebaking Freeze Dried Strawberries
160ml pot double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
100g strawberries, hulled and chopped
1-2 tsp redcurrant jelly
100g white fondant icing
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Butter and base line a 20cm square cake tin. Sift the four and baking powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, butter, eggs, pepper and freeze dried strawberried. beat with an electric mixer until well combined and with a soft dropping consistency. Spoon into the prepared tin, level the surface and make a shallow dip in the centre with a spoon.
2. Bake for about 35 minutes until the cake is golden and firm to the touch. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
3. To finish, whip the cream with the icing sugar until it forms think peaks. Stir in the chopped strawberries. Cut the cooled cake in a half horizontally and sandwich together with the strawberry cream. Turn upside down.
4. Warm the redcurrant jelly with 1 tbsp water until melted. Brush over the cake. Roll out the fondant icing thinly and use to cover the top of the cake. Chill until ready to serve, then cut into 16 squares and scatter with rose petals.
Recipe and video courtesy of Waitrose.