Baked rice pudding with spiced apple compote
For the rice pudding
125g/5oz round-grain pudding rice
750ml/1pint 7fl oz milk
seeds scraped out from 2 vanilla pods
150ml/6fl oz double cream
For the apple compote
100g/3oz demerara sugar
4 Bramley apples, peeled and diced
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1. For the rice pudding, preheat the oven to 140C/280F/Gas 1.
2. Place a saucepan onto a medium heat and add the butter and sugar.
3. Add the rice and cook until it puffs up.
4. Add the milk, vanilla pod seeds, cream and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
5. Stir well to combine.
6. Pour into an ovenproof dish and bake for 2-2½ hours.
7. For the apple compote, place a saucepan onto a medium heat and add the butter and sugar.
8. Add the apples and spices and stir to combine.
9. Bring to a simmer and cook until the apples have softened but still retain some texture.
10. Allow to cool.
11. To serve, place a spoonful of rice pudding in a bowl and top with a dollop of apple compote.